Natural Resources Policy Manager
- Take a leading role in the management of Northland's precious resources
- A flexible work environment
- Small town benefits, big ambitions
We are the carers for Northland's environment and community. Are you one of us?
A few things you should know about Northland Regional Council... we aren't about parking tickets, roading, building consents or any of that stuff!
Our work is ultimately about working together to care for our region's incredible environment and many communities, matching our skills and resources with the vision and aspirations of our people.
Toitū te whenua, toitū to moana, toitū te tangata. If the land is well, if the sea is well, the people will thrive.
The opportunity awaits...
Our Natural Resources Policy Manager guides a talented team to deliver on council's planning and policy objectives.
- Oversee the development of policy responses to resource management issues in Northland
- Provide expert advice, and represent council in relation to local and national resource management
- Maintain a high-performing team delivering exceptional service to the community of Northland.
Do you have what it takes?
We are looking for someone who can bring the following to our diverse talent pool:
- A relevant degree qualification in resource management or related area
- At least 5 years' experience in a senior policy development and implementation role
- Demonstrated experience in resource management policy development (including Schedule 1 RMA) and programme and project management
- Detailed knowledge of relevant legislation, including the Resource Management Act 1991 and associated national instruments (such as national policy and standards) and a working knowledge of the Treaty of Waitangi and the Local Government Act 2002
- Demonstrated experience and ability in the leadership and management of staff
We don't just want someone that CAN do the job, we want someone who has the DRIVE to do a GREAT job and has a passion for what our organisation and values stand for. That's why at NRC we understand that sometimes the right person doesn't 'tick all the boxes'. If you don't fit the mould exactly, but truly believe you can help manage the development of natural resources policy, then tell us. We'll consider it.
What's in it for you?
We'll pay you to do a job you love, and we also care about our staff. Our team has grown a lot over the years, but our small organisation culture is still here. We celebrate our efforts, share wedding/baby pictures, host many shared morning teas, enjoy outings, annual fishing competitions and brunches, and have a lot of fun together. We have an active social club that comes up with great ideas.
We also walk the talk when it comes to flexible working. We have remote workers, home workers, part-time workers, condensed weeks and more. We support our staff during the good and hard times, but if you're also interested in the tangible stuff, we have that too - check out our benefits here.
Want to chat with us first or just need more information? If so, contact our Acting Strategy, Planning and Policy Manager today.
The work we do really makes a difference and if you are someone who is motivated to contribute to the management of Northland's environment, check out the position description and apply today.
Applications close on Monday 28 September and must be submitted online.
Applicants for this position should have NZ residency/citizenship, a valid NZ work visa, or the ability to qualify for a valid NZ work visa.